If you’ve been wanting to make my pop tarts but are too lazy, this one’s for you: Vegan Gluten Free Jammy Strawberry Galette. Looks fancy, sounds fancy, but SO easy to make. Kinda like a pie, kinda like a pop tart, but easier, NO mess, and just as yum.
For this recipe, I adapted my pop tart dough to make the perfect crust, then filled it with a little bit of chia jam and plenty of fresh strawberries. The perfect summer recipe!
Vegan Gluten Free Jammy Strawberry Galette
For the Crust
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup cold vegan butter (plus more to brush)
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp ground flax + 2.5 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Strawberry Filling
- 1½ cups strawberries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
For the Chia Jam
- ½ cup strawberries
- ½ tsp chia seeds
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Prepare the flax egg by combining ground flax with water. Set aside to thicken.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine flax egg, almond milk ad vanilla. Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
- Cut the vegan butter into small chunks and add it to the mixture.
- Using a hand mixer, whisk until fully combined. You should be able to form a ball with the dough using your hands. If not, add more water or almond flour as needed.
- Form a ball with your hands, then cover and chill in the freezer for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Prepare the Chia Jam: Microwave the fresh or frozen strawberries until softened. Add in chia seeds, maple syrup and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Prepare the Strawberries: Halve the strawberries or cut into thick slices. Toss in cornstarch and maple syrup.
- On a parchment lined baking tray, roll the dough into crust about ¼ inch thick. Spread chia jam, leaving room around the edges. Top with strawberry mixture.
- Gent;y fold over the edges of the crust, covering a little bit of the filling. If the dough starts to crack, add a little bit of cold water.
- Brush the dough with melted vegan butter.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 mins or until crust is ready.