I’ve been dreaming about these pop tarts since I made my Gluten Free Strawberry Chia Jam Pop Tarts cause they were seriously UNREAL. And since I got a lot of requests to make them vegan, I decided to adapt my previous recipe to make these completely vegan AND gluten free!
The filling possibilities are endless, but today I made an oozy blueberry filling. You can easily substitute another fruit of your choosing, or even make a chia jam filling (check out my Strawberry Chia Jam)!
Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Pop Tarts
Vegan gluten free pop tarts with a buttery crust and an oozy blueberry filling.
- ⅔ cup almond flour*
- ⅓ cup oat flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour*
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan butter* (make sure it's cold, DO NOT melt)
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 2½ tbsp water)
- flour of choice (for rolling)
- 1½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp milk of choice
- ¼ tsp leftover blueberry juice (or to desired colour)
- pinch of blue spriulina powder
- optional: sprinkles (to top)
For the Blueberry Filling
- Heat up the fresh or frozen blueberries in a small pan with maple syrup. Cook until the fruit has softened. Pour out some of the blueberry juice and set aside for later.
- Add in cornstarch and stir continuously until it thickens. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice (to keep the fruit fresh).
- Allow it to cool in the fridge and thicken as you prepare the crust.
For the Dough
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk of choice and egg.
- Add the wet mixture and the butter to the dry ingredients.
- Mix with a hand mixer until a soft dough forms.
- Chill the dough in the freezer for 15-30 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Transfer the dough to floured parchment paper. Roll the dough into a large rectangle about ¼ inch thick.
- Using a knife, cut the dough into 12 even rectangles (or shape of choice).
- Place half of the rectangles on a lined baking tray, and spoon 1-2 tbsp of the chia jam on each.
- Using your finger, gently brush a little bit of water along the edges of each rectangle. Carefully place the remaining rectangles on top.
- Crimp the edges together using a fork.
- Bake for about 15-20 mins or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow the pop tarts to fully cool before topping with the glaze.
For the Blueberry Glaze
- Blend freeze dried strawberries (if using) along with powdered sugar in a blender.
- Mix in vanilla extract and slowly add in milk of choice until desired consistency is reached.
- Sprinkle on sprinkles if desired.
- Place in the fridge to allow the glaze to set.
*Flour: some have tried subbing oat flour for all the flours with success, however I believe the blend of flours would make for a flakier, less dense crust. *Vegan butter: if you choose to use coconut oil instead of butter, it will work, but will not brown as nicely. *Dough adapted from Stelle and Co Bakes
CategoriesBaking Gluten Free