Donuts have always been one of my favourite treats, but they are not the easiest to make at home — especially without a donut pan. And if you want to try and make them a little healthier (not deep fried) as well . . . it almost seems impossible. Or at least it did to me.
But these adorable soft, chewy mochi donut-inspired donuts are baked and completely vegan and gluten free. They’re made with simple ingredients and no special pan required — so everyone can enjoy!
Now I’m not saying these are necessarily good for you, but they are definitely a DELICIOUS healthier alternative. And I mean, if you’re wanting donuts . . . I’m assuming you’re not craving healthy tasting donuts am I right?!
So I think it’s time I stop talking and have you go preheat your oven!
Vegan Baked Mochi Donuts
For the Donuts
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp plain unsweetened coconut yogurt
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp oat milk (or milk of choice)
- 5 tbsp + 1 tsp oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Icing
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp oat milk (more or less depending on desired consistency)
- splash of vanilla
- additional colouring of choice (I used strawberry juice and blue spirulina powder)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a bowl, combine tapioca flour, coconut sugar and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut yogurt, oat milk, and vanilla.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients. Add in the oil and stir again until a soft, but moist dough is formed.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into little balls (slightly larger than a grape) and transfer to a parchment lined baking tray. Arrange the balls to form a donut shape and gently press them together.
- Transfer the baking tray to the oven at bake at 350° for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow the donuts to cool before frosting.
- Prepare the icing: combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Adjust the amount of milk to achieve desired consistency (more milk for more of a glaze, less milk for an icing).
- Once the donuts have cooled, dip in the icing and immediately top with sprinkles or toppings of choice.
- Allow the icing to cool and harden. Enjoy!