Miso Glazed Tofu Nuggets
A chicken-like tofu with a cornstarch coating and a deletable miso glaze.
- 3-4 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- salt to taste
- cornstarch to coat
- sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- Press the tofu with paper towel, squeezing out as much of the liquid as possible.
- Optional (but recommended): Freeze the tofu overnight. The next day, let the tofu thaw and press again. This will help remove even more of the liquid, and achieve more of a chicken-like texture.
- Using your hands, break the tofu into irregular chunks (what makes it look like chicken).
- In a bowl, combine miso paste, maple syrup, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, ground ginger and salt.
- Using about ⅓ of the sauce, lightly coat all the tofu chunks in the marinade.
- Pour the cornstarch into a separate bowl and gently toss tofu nuggets until well coated. Add more cornstarch as needed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with some olive oil. Pan fry tofu nuggets until lightly browned on all sides.
- Toss tofu in the remaining ⅔ of the miso glaze.
- Garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
Tofu method adapted from Rabbit and Wolves.