Mini Earl Grey Scones
These gluten free, flourless scones are made using earl grey tea bags and topped with a vanilla icing for the perfect fragrant but sweet balance.
For the Scones
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup oat flour
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags I used Tazo
- 1 small egg
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 3 tbsp butter (melted and cooled)
For the Vanilla Icing
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp milk of choice
- splash of vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Set aside and allow it to cool.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a high speed blender.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients and knead until a dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a ball and flatten into a small, flat circle.
- Using a knife, slice the dough into 6 even triangles (like a pizza).
- Place the sliced dough in the freezer for 10-15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Once the oven is ready removed the dough from the freezer and space out each scone on a prepared baking tray.
- Bake at 350° for about 10-15 mins or until edges are slightly golden brown.
- Remove the scones from the oven and place on a baking tray to allow them to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the vanilla icing: combine powdered sugar, milk of choice and vanilla extract. Add in the milk slowly until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer the icing into a small bag and cut a small hole in the corner.
- Once the scones have cooled, carefully drizzle the vanilla icing on top. Allow the icing to cool and harden.