Gluten Free Strawberry Chia Jam Pop Tarts
A healthier take on the classic pop tart. These gluten free pop tarts have a fresh strawberry chia jam, and are sure to satisfy your inner child's cravings!
- ⅔ cup almond flour (plus more for rolling)
- ⅓ cup oat flour (old fashioned oats blended into a fine flour)
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (make sure it's cold, DO NOT melt)
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 egg
Stovetop Strawberry Chia Jam
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or sub vinegar)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp milk of choice
- splash of vanilla extract
- optional: freeze dried strawberries (to make pink)
- optional: sprinkles (to top)
For the Stovetop Strawberry Chia Jam
- Heat up sliced strawberries in a small pan with maple syrup. Cook until fruit has softened.
- Remove from pan and mash strawberries with a fork.
- Stir in the lemon juice and chia seeds.
- Transfer to a heat safe container and chill in the fridge to allow the jam to thicken.
For the Dough
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk of choice and egg.
- Add the wet mixture and the butter to the dry ingredients.
- Mix with a hand mixer until a soft dough forms.
- Chill the dough in the freezer for 15-30 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Transfer the dough to floured parchment paper. Roll the dough into a large rectangle about ¼ inch thick.
- Using a knife, cut the dough into even rectangles (or shape of choice)
- Place half of the rectangles on a lined baking tray, and spoon 1-2 tbsp of the chia jam on each.
- Using your finger, gently brush a little bit of water along the edges of each rectangle. Carefully place the remaining rectangles on top.
- Crimp the edges together using a fork.
- Bake for about 15 mins or until lightly golden brown. Allow the pop tarts to cool before topping with the glaze.
For the Strawberry Glaze
- Blend freeze dried strawberries (if using) along with powdered sugar in a blender.
- Mix in vanilla extract and slowly add in milk of choice until desired consistency is reached.
- Sprinkle on sprinkles if desired. Place in the fridge to allow the glaze to set.
*Dough adapted from Stelle and Co Bakes