Vegan dreams come true with this easy, smooth, VERY cheesy mozzarella—and the protein is an added bonus!
Wait…protein? YES! Most store bought vegan cheeses are full of coconut oil and contain little to no protein, but this one’s got lots, as cheese should!
If you’ve seen other vegan mozzarellas on the web, most involve blending cashews and other ingredients, then cooking the mixture on a stovetop to allow it to thicken. I did the same, except one minor thing…
Instead of using cornstarch, tapioca flour, agar agar or any typical thickener, I used protein powder. Ok don’t run away! I will say you may have to be careful not to use a protein with a prominent taste, but if you use any unflavoured, neutral tasting one, I promise you won’t be able to taste it at all. Plus, protein powder tends to absorb more liquid than flour so works perfectly as a thickening agent! Win, win, win!
You’ll just need:
- raw cashews
- olive oil
- protein powder
- fresh garlic
- miso paste
…and a good blender!
If you’re wondering, where’s the nutritional yeast? Isn’t that the number one ingredient for vegan cheese recipes?
Well, the cheesiness from this recipe all comes from the cashews and miso paste! If you’re not familiar with miso, it is generally made with fermented soybeans and very common in Asian recipes. BUT it has a savoury, umami taste that also kind of tastes like cheese? You can find it at places like Whole Foods and even Trader Joe’s now!
And this isn’t just for pizza, you can also use it for a cheesy dip, lasagna, grilled cheese…and more!
Easy Vegan Mozzarella (that actually has protein!)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews (soaked in 1 cup hot water 1 hr, or overnight)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unflavoured protein powder I recommend Sprout Living Sunflower Seed Protein*
- 1 clove fresh garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- Soak cashews in 1 cup hot water or overnight.
- Add the cashews and the water they were soaked in to a good blender (I used a Vitamix). Add all other ingredients except protein powder and blend till smooth.
- Add protein powder and blend again until smooth.
- Transfer to sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir continuously. It will continue to thicken but be careful not to leave it sitting too long or it will stick to pan!
- Remove from heat and use immediately or store in fridge in an airtight container.**
As always, I love to see what you all are making! Tag me on Instagram @feliciasfabfoodz if you try this recipe. Happy cooking!