Date Sweetened Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Indulgent Vegan Cinnamon Rolls with a date-sweetened cinnamon date filling.
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 2½ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ tsp cane sugar (for the yeast)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 heaping cups unbleached all purpose flour
Cinnamon Date Filling
- 1 cup dates
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (melted)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut sugar (to taste)
- 1½ tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
Cream Cheese Yogurt Icing
- 3 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt of choice
- ½ tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- splash of vanilla
- pinch of salt
- For the Dough: Heat the almond milk and vegan butter in 20-30 sec increments until warm (not hot or it will kill the yeast). Allow it to cool if needed. Add in the yeast and cane sugar, stir and let it activate.
- Once the yeast is activated, pour it into a large mixing bowl with 2 cups of flour, slowly adding more if needed. The dough should be sticky. Knead lightly until a ball is formed, being careful not to over mix. Coat mixing bowl with oil and put the ball back in. Cover with saran wrap and allow it to rinse in a warm place until 2x in size.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Once the dough is ready, roll into a thin rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Spread the filling in an even layer, covering all of the dough. Starting from the long end, tightly roll the dough into one long log.
- Slice into 9 even rolls.
- Transfer the rolls to a prepared baking dish, cover again and allow it to rise for another 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Brush the melted butter on top of the cinnamon rolls.
- Bake for about 30 mins or until lightly golden brown.
- While the rolls bake, prepare the icing: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Allow the cinnamon rolls to cool before serving with icing, and enjoy!
Dough adapted from Minimalist Baker.