I can’t stop making my Vegan Tofu French Toast and have been trying different toppings to switch it up, but what about changing the batter itself?
Any coffee lover out there has got to try this hack: instant coffee in your french toast batter. Whether it’s this tofu batter (the better option in my opinion), or another batter – just throw that coffee in there and I promise you won’t regret it!
With that hint of coffee in the french toast, and a nut butter “caramel” to top . . . what more could you want?
Caramel Macchiato Tofu French Toast
A vegan french toast made with coffee in the batter and a nut butter caramel sauce to serve.
Vegan French Toast
- 2 thick slices of bread (dry and crusty bread works best)
- ¼ cup extra firm tofu
- ⅓ cup plant based milk of choice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vegan butter (plus more for frying)
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- ¼ tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
Nut Butter Caramel
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp nut butter (I used almond butter)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- splash of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients (other than the bread) in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a large dish and dip each slice of bread in for about 30 secs – 1 minute, making sure the bread is fully coated.
- Heat a skillet with some vegan butter over low to medium heat.
- Transfer the bread onto a lightly buttered pan and cook for about 5 mins or until lightly browned. Flip and cook until other side is lightly browned.
- Prepare the nut butter caramel: combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir well until fully combined.
- Serve immediately with nut butter caramel and powdered sugar (optional). Enjoy!
Tofu French Toast adapted from A Virtual Vegan.